My mum and I attended a knitting course on saturday… As far as I love crocheting, I am 100% knitting impaired. Still, I realized it was time for me to challenge the very hated needles and make something slightly more complicated than a scarf. We ended up being at the course for 8 hours and in the evening my arms and back were so sour!
As a matter of fact, we didn’t do anything special the following day. The weather was weird and we just wanted to rest, so we started surfing the net a bit. Many of the girls who had attended the course with us had some super cool needles and hooks cases, where all the supplies were nicely displayed and easy to reach.
I have been crocheting only for a little over a year now and as things started I hadn’t taken it too seriously… being knitting impaired I thought crocheting couldn’t go any better… but slowly, as things started developing, I managed to put together a fair hook collection, plus other random supplies.
The problem is that until now I hadn’t found anything better than an old eyeglasses box tied with a hairband to store in my hooks!
As you can see it’s not so glamorous 🙂 In one year I managed to collect all kinds of odds inside it… including 0,10 €, paillettes that I’ll probably never use, paper clips and even a chipkey!
So mum and I started googling for possible solutions and we found crochet hooks rolls! I had seen them before (like the one from CLOVER, that unfortunately costs half a fortune here in Italy), but the idea of making one myself never crossed my mind, since… you know… I’m also sewing impaired! 😀 Luckily enough, though, my mum is a stylist and she offered to help me sewing one on my own, so we picked some cute japanese-style fat quarters and…. ta-daaaaaaa!
I has a roll!
I am so extremely proud of myself! I was in panic during the whole machine sewing procedure, but we all survived it and no one got hurt, so yay!
My first ever crocheting project has been an Afghan Blanket… just to start it off easy, eh? I had never held a hook in m hands before, but with my mum’s help I learnt quite easily.
It took me a while to understand how to slip stitch the ends on every rond and my first squares where a total mess, but in the end I came up with about 70 squares in less than 2 months!
It all started after seeing such pictures on Flickr and then feeling the crave for a self made blanket straight after:
So yay! there we go!
I bought myself some random colours yarns for my birthday. I didn’t have a specific pattern in mind (mistake!), I just wanted it to be very colourful and to have a majority of pink/green shades to match my bedroom’s colours.
These are the very first “granny squares” I made. My hand seemed to be pretty tight from the beginning, so i needed 9 rounds to do what usually doesn’t take more than 5 or 6 rounds to be finished. i eneded up buying myself a new bigger hook to save both time and yarn.
After a month or so, this is what my blanket was looking like:
You can clearly see the difference between the first and second “era” squares. i was a bit scared the outcome would be a bit odd in the end, but I must say it’s not that bad after all.
Once I made all the squares (64!) it was time to crochet the black borders – which made the original colours much brighter. I am happy I didn’t go for a brown border as I had originally planned.
The work was fairly quick and I could finally sew the whole work together!
Here are the first 4 joint rows:
I sewed the first 4 rows so far. Some of the squares got mixed up in the process – don’t ask me how – so I have some colours repeating… sigh. It’s my very first attempt at sweing anything, so you can see how some of the squares aren’t centered… I decided not to fix that in the end. I think it somehow makes my first attempt more precious, and also taught me better for the next time!
And now… here is the finished product on my bed… tadaaaa!
I still want to add a cute border around it, but I haven’t picked one that I like yet… I’ll keep you posted!