My first ever crocheting project has been an Afghan Blanket… just to start it off easy, eh? I had never held a hook in m hands before, but with my mum’s help I learnt quite easily.
It took me a while to understand how to slip stitch the ends on every rond and my first squares where a total mess, but in the end I came up with about 70 squares in less than 2 months!
So yay! there we go!
I bought myself some random colours yarns for my birthday. I didn’t have a specific pattern in mind (mistake!), I just wanted it to be very colourful and to have a majority of pink/green shades to match my bedroom’s colours.
These are the very first “granny squares” I made. My hand seemed to be pretty tight from the beginning, so i needed 9 rounds to do what usually doesn’t take more than 5 or 6 rounds to be finished. i eneded up buying myself a new bigger hook to save both time and yarn.
After a month or so, this is what my blanket was looking like:
You can clearly see the difference between the first and second “era” squares. i was a bit scared the outcome would be a bit odd in the end, but I must say it’s not that bad after all.
Once I made all the squares (64!) it was time to crochet the black borders – which made the original colours much brighter. I am happy I didn’t go for a brown border as I had originally planned.
The work was fairly quick and I could finally sew the whole work together!
Here are the first 4 joint rows:
I sewed the first 4 rows so far. Some of the squares got mixed up in the process – don’t ask me how – so I have some colours repeating… sigh. It’s my very first attempt at sweing anything, so you can see how some of the squares aren’t centered… I decided not to fix that in the end. I think it somehow makes my first attempt more precious, and also taught me better for the next time!